jewel 1

Wolff set to be first female F1 driver at race weekend since 1992 after Williams hand her role for British and German Grands Prix

British racer Susie Wolff will end the two-decade wait for a female driver to get behind the wheel at a Formula One race weekend when she takes to the track at this year's British Grand Prix.
The 31-year-old's new expanded role with Williams will see her participate in practice sessions at Silverstone and the German Grand Prix - both in July - as well as an in-season test for the British team.
It means Wolff, who joined the Grove-based outfit in 2012, will become the first female racer to take part in a grand prix weekend since Italian driver Giovanna Amati during qualifying for the 1992 Brazilian Grand Prix.
'I'm grateful for the support and belief Williams continue to show in me and 2014 promises to be a very important milestone in my career,' said Wolff, who hails from Scotland and is married to Mercedes chief Toto Wolff.
'My responsibilities within the team have steadily increased as I have proved myself, culminating in the opportunity to test the car at Silverstone and conduct straight line aero tests last season.
'Competing in two FP1 sessions, alongside an additional full test day this season will be a big step and I am looking forward to the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the FW36 on a Grand Prix weekend. 
'It's a challenge that I will relish and it will be a great chance for me to continue assisting the team.'

No comments:

Post a Comment