jewel 1

F1 set to welcome female driver at Silverstone

Williams driver Susie Wolff is set to become the first female driver to take part in a Formula 1 race weekend since 1992, reports the Daily Mail.
The 31 year old has been part of the team since 2012 and is in line to take part in the British and German Grand Prix.
Her growing stature within the Williams team means she is set to take part in practice sessions at both Silverstone and the Hockenheimring next season. She will also contribute to an in-season test for the British team. 
She told the Daily Mail: "I'm grateful for the support and belief Williams continue to show in me and 2014 promises to be a very important milestone in my career.
"My responsibilities within the team have steadily increased as I have proved myself, culminating in the opportunity to test the car at Silverstone and conduct straight line aero tests last season.
"Competing in two FP1 sessions, alongside an additional full test day this season will be a big step and I am looking forward to the opportunity to get behind the wheel of the FW36 on a Grand Prix weekend.
"It's a challenge that I will relish and it will be a great chance for me to continue assisting the team.'"
The Scot is set to become the first driver since Giovanna Amati took part in qualifying for the Brazilian Grand Prix in 1992.
Female drivers are becoming more common within Formula 1 teams, with Sauber announcing their intentions to have a female racer in 2015 having recently signed Indy 500 Rookie of the Year, Simona De Silvestro.
Maria de Villota was a test driver for two years at Marussia before a serious crash forced her to retire. She later died in 2012 having failed to recover from the accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment